NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- XenoPort (XNPT) was the biggest gainer among small-caps Thursday after the biotech company won approval for its first drug Horizant used to treat moderate-to-severe restless leg syndrome. The stock was up 66% at $10.64 on volumes of more than 17 million shares.
Shares of Immunogen (IMGN) jumped 21% to $11.28 after an experimental breast cancer drug that it is developing with Roche was found to be more successful than the standard treatment in a mid-stage study.
Retail stocks were buzzing after stronger-than-expected same-store sales data. Pier 1 Imports (PIR) saw its shares climb 9% to $11.52 after it reported better-than-expected results. Sales rose 7.7% to $426.6 million, beating the analysts' average estimate of $425.6 million. Sales at stores open at least a year rose 8.9%.
Rite Aid (RAD) was up 6.6% to $1.13 after it posted a narrower-than-expected loss and its sales stabilized. The company said it may narrow its losses significantly in fiscal 2012, and forecasted stronger revenue than analysts expected.Express (EXPR) shares were climbing 4.5% to $20.23. The company announced the pricing of the offering of 19,800,000 common shares by certain stockholders at $19 a share, reflecting an upsize from the previously announced offering of 16.5 million shares. Shares of Intersil (ISIL) rose rising 5.8% to $14.09.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Shanthi Bharatwaj. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/shavenk. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV