Government Shutdown Could Derail Recovery
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- As the clock ticks down to the looming government shutdown, many analysts fear a rapid decrease in consumer confidence and spending could potentially derail the U.S.'s fragile economic recovery.
If lawmakers are unable to agree on a new budget measure before the current continuing resolution expires just after midnight on Saturday, federal departments and agencies will be required by law to execute a government shutdown.
Passage of an appropriations bill or an extension on negotiations would effectively forestall the shutdown, but the budget talks between Republicans and Democrats seem far from resolution.
If the government is shuttered, federal departments and agencies would have to comply with contingency plans set forth by the Antideficiency Act of 1870, and therefore would have to cease all operations, the Office of Personnel Management explained.Hundreds of thousands of federal employees would be told to stop working, the economic effects of a shutdown would reverberate throughout the nation, and the longer it lasts, the more dire the financial repercussions, Gus Faucher, director of macroeconomics at Moody's Analytics, told TheStreet. "If it starts stretching to two to three weeks, there is a potential for a negative impact on the economy, particularly through confidence," Faucher said. "If people feel that the government can't really handle this and can't get their house in order, then we could see consumers get a little bit anxious." Many federal employees wouldn't be allowed to work, not even as unpaid volunteers for the government, and would be placed in a temporary non-pay status.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV