So TheStreet asks the CEOs:
With the typical federal tax rate of 35% for U.S. corporations, should a company, through "tax benefit" accounting or off-shoring of assets, be allowed to pay zero income taxes?
Malcolm Unsworth, CEO of smart meter provider Itron (ITRI): "We've got a number of competitors throughout the world and GE is just one of them. When it comes to providing products and solutions to many parts of the world, we pay our fair share of taxes because we are a global company that operates locally. We do business in about 130 countries a year, so we have a tax structure that we pay taxes no matter where we are, in whatever country we do business in. So maybe there are some companies out there that do a little better job on the tax front than we do." --Gregg GreenbergKevin Harrington, TVGoods CEO and ABC's "Shark Tank" entrepreneur: "At the end of the day, I think it's all about shareholder value and increasing the profits for the company. Obviously it's got to be done within the legal constraints that we all have. But we do all of our business in terms of the corporate office here domestically, so we don't have offshore companies at this stage. If we could figure out how to in our international distribution -- we are looking at setting up some offshore businesses -- it's worth exploring. --Debra Borchardt Rob McEwen, CEO of U.S. Gold (UXG), a small gold explorer: "We have very convoluted accounting rules and so
What are America's corporate leaders saying about the issues of the day? TheStreet's reporters, during the course of their weekly coverage, will pose a thematic question to the business executives they interview. Have a question you'd like to see TheStreet ask the CEOs? Send it to email@example.com. Follow TheStreet on Twitter.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV