IBM/Microsoft cloud story updated with information on Dell's $1 billion cloud investment.
SAN FRANCISCO ( TheStreet) -- IBM (IBM) ramped up its enterprise cloud efforts at a company event for CIOs Thursday, unveiling new products and teaming up with firms like Lockheed Martin (LMT) and Citigroup (C) to develop cloud standards.
Clouds are buzzing ... again. IBM's move comes a day after cloud rival Microsoft (MSFT) announced a $12 million partnership with Toyota (TM) that will use Windows Azure to develop in-car, digital information services for Toyota's hybrid and plug-in vehicles.
IBM talked about its SmartCloud refresh, intended to improve customers' ability to manage applications on public clouds. "We have added enhancements for the enterprise," Ric Telford, IBM's vice president of cloud services, told TheStreet. Users, he said, can now continually adjust the levels of security, privacy and availability for apps running in the cloud. IBM claims that this could cut the time spent deploying applications from days to minutes, which is increasingly important as companies push more and more apps into the cloud. IBM is also juicing its efforts around private clouds, which companies access via VPNs. The tech giant showed off its Workload Developer software, which deploys a cloud app to multiple physical servers simultaneously. "Before, you would have had to configure and install
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV