MF Global's Meir said a rate increase coming out the European Central Bank by Thursday could initially set markets back, but he felt the move would likely be shrugged off quickly, similar to the reaction to recent fiscal tightening in China.
(Published at 12:08 pm)The Japanese yen has sunk to a six-month low against the U.S. dollar on speculation that Japan's central bank will take longer than other countries to raise interest rates. The U.S. dollar was rising 0.6% against the Japanese currency at 85.329 yen. On Wednesday, the U.S. currency hit a six-month high against the Japanese currency at 85.515 yen.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV