NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- May copper futures extended recent gains on Wednesday, rising 2.5% to $4.37 a pound and hitting a one-week high amid speculation that Chinese rate hikes won't temper the country's appetite for copper.
"We suspect the Chinese rate rises are not doing much to dislodge the upward run in commodities, as investors have yet to see any fallout from tighter money coming out in the way of deteriorating Chinese macro data," said MF Global analyst Ed Meir.
"Until that happens, it seems that most markets are either going to push higher (such as oil) or stay at elevated levels (such as many of the base metals)," Meir said.Fanning the flames of copper bulls was copper-producing behemoth Freeport-McMoRan (FCX), which said that China's hunger for copper continues unabated despite its fiscal tightening and that the country's inventory of the metal will be depleted in the coming months. Shares of Freeport were falling 0.4% to $56.39; Southern Copper (SCCO) was down 0.6% to $40.23. Copper miner Taseko Mines (TGB) was flat at $5.94.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV