Gym, Tan, Laundry
Now that they know the pillars of summer-rental existence, property owners are stepping it up and trying to squeeze more letters of the GTL acronym into their vacation homes. Roughly 59% percent of vacation property owners are planning to upgrade their homes this year, according to HomeAway, with 21% adding new electronics and 11% adding new appliances -- which should take care of at least the L.
Even the G isn't completely out of the question, though, as the 62% of vacation homeowners who compare their properties to boutique hotel brands such as the W Hotel and Hotel Indigo (IHG) or slightly upscale establishments such as the Westin (HOT) or Hilton (BX) are increasingly adding the amenities to back it up. Hudepohl says in-house gyms and laundry, pool tables, video game consoles and home theater systems are becoming increasingly common.
"Vacation rental homes offer a number of amenities that are sure to please travelers, including those who want to live like the cast of Jersey Shore," Hudepohl says. "In addition, rental homes often offer full backyards and front yards, which are great for outdoor activities like football and volleyball."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV