1. McClatchy (MNI) is a newspaper publisher, which owns The Miami Herald, Charlotte Observer and other papers. Its stock has tumbled 33% in 12 months and delivered annualized losses of 31% over a three-year span. Fourth-quarter net income decreased 42% to $15 million and earnings per share fell 53% to 18 cents, hurt by a higher share count. McClatchy's gross margin narrowed from 60% to 57% and its operating margin dropped from 27% to 24%, hurting profit.
McClatchy has just $18 million of cash and $1.7 billion of debt, for a quick ratio of 0.8 and an excessive debt-to-equity ratio of 7.8. McClatchy's stock has a beta value, a measure of market correlation, of 3.1, so it tends to more than triple the day-to-day movements of the equity market. Of analysts covering the company, all five rank its stock "hold." It receives no "buy" or "sell" rankings. Currently, a disproportionate 42% of the float is sold short, indicating sizable negativity.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV