Accounting for Past Mistakes
It all started, according to MaloneBailey's Qin, when the firm instituted a more-rigorous process for examining Chinese companies for the fiscal 2010 audit cycle.
As allegations and revelations of fraud hit one Chinese reverse-merger stock after another last year -- often brought to light by short sellers who profit when share prices decline -- the resulting scandals sparked the SEC and its auditor regulator, the PCAOB, to launch a broad inquiry into the matter.
The SEC set up a task force to investigate fraud allegations directed at Chinese reverse-merger companies, and to examine the role of the U.S.-based firms that help bring them public here -- the so-called gatekeepers -- including promoters, investment banks and auditors. No such firms have been accused of wrongdoing by federal officials.
The scene, however, has intensified this year, with explosive fraud allegations and company-specific SEC probes leading to a handful of trading halts and/or delistings, such as China MediaExpress (CCME), Duoyuan Printing (DYP) and Fuqi International (FUQI).(Defenders of Chinese listings in the U.S. maintain that the incidence of fraud among Chinese companies is no greater or lesser than it is among American companies. Still, of the 13 stocks with trading halts currently in place on major U.S. exchanges, nine are Chinese -- or 70% of them.)
|MaloneBailey's head of China auditing, George Qin|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV