By Tuesday, reports said United Nations forces backing Ouattara had damaged Gbagbo's home and that the incumbent was negotiating his surrender.
Copper for May delivery was rising 0.2% to $4.26 a pound amid a two-day holiday in China and a week-long CESCO (The Center for Copper and Mining Studies)/CRU mining conference in Chile.
Man Financial analyst Ed Meir said initial reports from the conference have been quite upbeat, with most speakers pointing to tight supply and healthy demand to support their "relatively rosy outlook" for prices.
"We would agree, but are nonetheless quite wary about short-term prospects, particularly going into Q2," said Meir. "In this respect, we think markets have not adequately discounted what could be a soft patch in terms of demand likely caused by a ratcheting higher of interest rates and typified by rising inventories."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV