Spring is typically the high season for housing stock, so that means it's a buyer's market, right? We guess, if a "buyer's market" involves letting the average price of existing homes jump to $183,000 from $165,000, as they did between February and June of last year, according to the National Association of Realtors.
But it'll be different this year without the first-time homebuyer's tax incentive, right? Not really. Housing inventory hovered between 3.9 million and 4 million homes last spring, which equates to a roughly 8.2- to 8.9-month supply after a 3.5 million, 8.4-month supply in February. This February, however, the backlog of available houses was at 8.6 months and fewer than 3.5 million. This time, though, interest rates are on the rise while housing prices and sales decline.
Given last year's example, it may be best to hold off that house hunt until summer if possible.
"Mortgage rates are still near historic lows, and affordability is at record highs," says Stephanie Singer, spokeswoman for the National Association of Realtors. "The decision if and when to buy a home is a very personal one and depends on many factors."-- Written by Jason Notte in Boston.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Jason Notte. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/notteham. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV