Congratulations, jewelry buyer, you left proposal season just in time for spring wedding season. The good news is that you don't have to present documentation to get in on the wedding promotional deals available during the next three months or so. The bad news is that you'll be among a crush of couples deciding whether tungsten is a more manly metal than titanium or whether its better to have diamonds on one or both sides.
"If you're not engaged, buying jewelry during peak wedding season or proposal season, which is November to February, isn't necessarily a bad thing," Rebecca Dolgin, executive editor of wedding site TheKnot.com (KNOT). "In fact, if you're looking to make a purchase during this time, there may be more retailers offering promotions to try to secure your business. Yes, the stores may be a bit more packed, but on the upside, you may secure a great price."
That's the kicker, though: You're not even getting that much incentive to buy. According to jewelry industry group Jewelers of America, jewelry buyers are getting their deals with just about everyone else right around the start of the winter holidays -- with 28% of all engagements taking place in November and December.
"Today, due to the high cost of wedding venues and wedding-related expenses, many couples are having their weddings all throughout the year," says Helena Krodel, spokeswoman for Jewelers of America. "Therefore, anytime is the 'right' time to purchase jewelry."That said, hold off until the young couples' rings are old news and come back to the jewelry counter in a couple of months.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV