A new car
If you're looking for a good deal on a new ride, it just sped by you and is now a couple miles down the road in the opposite direction.
The road through March was paved with incentives from Ford (F), Nissan (NSANY), GM (GM) and even Hyundai that helped increase U.S. auto sales 17% from last year. Blame the pent-up winter demand, the new-model releases or even the American desire to duck rising gasoline prices if you'd like, but those $1,500-to-$2,000 incentives are a big push for customers who may otherwise put off their purchases until spring.
"March always has 31 days, so that definitely helps," says Jessica Caldwell, senior analyst at Edmunds.com. "It's always one of the top sales months, along with May, August and December."
Don't take May for granted this year, however, as the continued earthquake-, tsunami- and nuclear-related turmoil in Japan is still playing havoc with the supply chain and shortages of even the most seemingly benign part can bring production of nearly all the world's car models to a screeching halt. Caldwell notes that better incentives can usually be found during August and early September, when automakers clear out stock to make way for next year's models.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV