Is it better to be broke and in fashion than a year behind and flush?
If consumers are wearing the current spring lines but have nothing in their pockets, they may want to re-evaluate how they're answering that question. Spring usually gives apparel sales a bit of a boost, with the National Retail Federation saying that 39.6% of Easter shoppers spent a portion of the $118.60 they parted with last holiday season on clothes. However, the bump doesn't tend to be that big, as consumers spend only an average of $19 on apparel and only 7% do so in specialty clothing stores such as The Gap (GPS), Aeropostale (ARO) or American Eagle (AEO).
"Because the prices are higher than during post-holiday sales, they kind of bring in revenue that way," says IBISWorld analyst Nikoleta Panteva. "It's kind of iffy this year because it's uncertain if consumers are willing to pay full price or if they are watching their budget."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV