(Takeover Targets: Consumer Stocks in Play report updated with detail about PepsiCo.)
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Corporate dealmaking is staging a comeback in 2011 after hitting a six-year low in 2009, and a roster of consumer stocks represent potentially lucrative targets.
"Leveraged buyouts likely will remain a persistent theme, as private equity and other buyout firms look to put dry powder to use before capital commitments expire," noted Morningstar analyst R. J. Hottovy earlier this year. "We also expect acquisitions to have a global feel in 2011, as domestic firms look to both established and emerging markets for takeover candidates to enhance anemic domestic returns during the last few years."
Other firms looked to growing niche markets for expansion.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV