NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Tech giants Texas Instruments (TXN) and National Semiconductor (NSM) have entered a $6.5 billion merger agreement that proposes to combine two of the largest chip companies in the U.S.
Texas Instruments says it will pay $25 a share in an all-cash deal for the Santa Clara, Calif.-based National Semi. Both companies expect the deal to close by year's end.
"This acquisition is about strength and growth," TI chief Rich Templeton said in a press release Monday after the bell.
The move comes during a massive shift in the chip sector, which sees energies shifting from PCs to mobile devices. TI has been one of the players in the mobile processor market, but the sharp rise and early success of competitors like Qualcomm (QCOM) and Nvidia (NVDA) have not exactly helped TI in the most recent generation of phones.With the addition of National Semi, TI adds a broader collection of products like power management components and amplifiers that promise to open the Dallas chip giant to new markets. The purchase price of $25 a share comes at more than a 75% premium to National Semi's recent $14 stock price. National Semi shares were up 70% to $23.96 in after-hours trading. The move helped push up shares of National Semi rivals like Analog Devices (ADI), which was up 7%, and ON Semiconductor (ONNN), which was up 6% in after-hours trading Monday. Meanwhile, shares of Intel (INTC), which has been largely left behind the mobile game, were unchanged. --Written by Scott Moritz in New York.
>To contact this writer, click here: Scott Moritz, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. To follow Scott on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/MoritzDispatch. >To send a tip, email: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV