WASHINGTON, D.C. ( TheStreet) -- Optimer Pharmaceuticals (OPTR) brings its antibiotic fidamoxicin in front of a U.S. Food and Drug Administration advisory panel today, seeking a positive recommendation that could lead to the drug's approval in May.
Fidamoxicin is being developed as a new treatment for Clostridium difficile infection (CDI), a serious bacterial illness that infects the lining of the colon and causes severe abdominal pain, bloating and diarrhea. In severe cases, CDI can result in ruptured colons, cause blood infections and lead to death.
A review of fidamoxicin by FDA regulators posted Friday agreed with Optimer's data demonstrating the drug to be as effective as Viropharma's (VPHM) Vancocin in curing CDI. Fidamoxicin also reduced the percentage of patients who relapsed by half compared to patients treated with Vancocin.Optimer's fidamoxicin is a novel, narrow-spectrum antibiotic that is designed to target C. diff. bacteria with a more convenient twice-daily dosing schedule.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Adam Feuerstein. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/adamfeuerstein. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV