MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif., April 4, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- VIVUS, Inc. (Nasdaq: VVUS) today announced long-term data that demonstrated patients treated with the investigational drug QNEXA® for two years showed reductions in blood pressure and the use of antihypertensive medications as well as improvements in lipid levels following significant reductions in weight loss as compared to those in the placebo group over two years.
The data – additional results from the SEQUEL study – were presented Sunday at the 60th Annual Scientific Meeting of The American College of Cardiology by Michael Davidson, M.D., clinical professor and director of preventive cardiology at The University of Chicago.
Specific results are as follows:
- Patients on QNEXA had significant reductions in weight loss as compared to those in the placebo group over two years. Least-squares mean percent weight loss at week 108 was -9.3% and -10.5%, respectively, for the mid and top dose as compared to -1.8% for the placebo group.
- Overall, patients taking QNEXA showed a significant reduction in the number of antihypertensive medications they required as compared to those taking a placebo over two years of treatment.
- Specifically, patients with hypertension at the beginning of the study taking QNEXA mid and top dose showed a significant reduction in the number of antihypertensive medications they required of -9.8% and -18.9%, respectively, while patients taking a placebo showed a net increase of +4.2%.
- Dyslipidemic patients at baseline treated with the mid and top dose of QNEXA had decreases in triglycerides of -25.9% and -26.3%, respectively, as compared to -14.3% for the placebo group.
- Dyslipidemic patients at baseline treated with the mid and top dose of QNEXA had improvements in HDL-C of +11.4% and +16.7%, respectively, as compared to +9.1% for the placebo group.
"In this study, QNEXA patients on the top dose had sustained weight loss greater than 10% over two years. This weight loss led to clinically relevant reductions in blood pressure, triglyceride reduction greater than 25%, and a dramatic increase in HDL levels," stated Dr. Davidson. "Achieving and maintaining this degree of weight loss, one that impacts cardiovascular risk in a clinically meaningful way, is often difficult for patients. Maintaining double-digit weight loss over two years, with resulting improvements in cardiovascular risk factors and an overall reduction in medications used to treat comorbidities makes this important data for clinicians."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV