Updated from 4:17 a.m. EDT
Arco Aluminum, based in Louisville, Kentucky, makes rolled aluminum sheet for beverage cans.
The Japanese consortium is made up of Sumitomo Light Metal Industries, Furukawa Sky Aluminum, Sumitomo Corp., Itochu Corp., and Itochu Metals Corp. .The deal is expected to close in the third quarter. "Although a strong business, Arco Aluminum is clearly a non-strategic asset for BP. Today's agreement will deliver an attractive price for the business, unlocking its value for our shareholders," said Bob Dudley, BP group CEO, in a statement. BP said it remains on track to meet its target of divesting itself of $30 billion of assets by the end of 2011. To date, it has agreed to sell assets with a value of more than $24 billion. Separately, BP has asked U.S. regulators for permission to resume drilling in the Gulf of Mexico, two company officials said on Sunday, The New York Times reported, close to a year after a rig leased by BP exploded spewing an estimated 200 million gallons of oil into the sea. -- Written by Joseph Woelfel
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Joseph Woelfel >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV