NEW YORK (MainStreet) -- Through good economic times and bad, one thing never changes: Some Americans will always wait until the last minute to file their taxes, and chances are, more than a few of the foot-draggers live in Texas.
Houston had the highest percentage of residents who waited until the final two weeks of the 2010 tax season to file their returns, according to a report from Intuit's (INTU) TurboTax, making this city the biggest tax procrastinator for the second straight year. What's more, the city has taken the top spot five of the past 10 years, making it the undisputed king of tax procrastinators.
Houston isn't the only city in Texas that tends to stress out about tax returns this time of year. Three other cities in the top 10 (or bottom 10, depending on how you look at it) are in the Lone Star state, including Austin, San Antonio and Dallas.Overall, TurboTax estimates that just over a quarter of U.S. taxpayers (27%) wait until the final two weeks of the tax season to file their returns, and perhaps even more could do so this year, as the tax deadline was extended by an extra three days. The TurboTax data are based on the number of tax returns handled through the site. >To submit a news tip, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV