5. Sterling Bancshares
Sterling Bancshares (SBIB) of Houston, Texas, saw its shares return 23% during the first quarter, to close at $8.61 Thursday.
The company announced a on January 18 an agreement to be acquired by Comerica (CMA) of Dallas, in an exchange of shares valued at $1 billion.Comerica agreed to exchange 0.2365 of its shares for each share of Sterling, and valued the deal at about $10 for each share for Sterling, whose stock had closed at $7.70 on January 18. Comerica agreed to pay about 2.3 times tangible book value for Sterling, according to SNL Financial, for a deal that was considered expensive in the current industry environment. Comerica's shares declined 13% during the first quarter, to close at $36.72 Thursday. When factoring-in the exchange ratio and the decline in Comerica's share price, Sterling's shareholders would have received value of $8.68 a share, if the merger had been completed on Thursday. The deal is expected to be completed by the end of the second quarter. Sterling is scheduled to announce its first-quarter results on April 19, with analysts expecting the company to earn two cents a share. One of the 14 analysts covering Sterling rates the shares a buy, while the all remaining analysts have neutral ratings.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV