Blockbuster Gets Bid from Icahn, Dish Network: Report
The Wall Street Journal reported on Friday that billionaire investor Carl Icahn and satellite-television company Dish Network have each submitted offers to purchase the bankrupt movie rental retailer.
Bids for the company were due Thursday evening.
According the Journal, which cites sources familiar with the matter, the bidders have made minimum offers required to qualify for Monday's auction. The bidding will start at $290 million, which was the "stalking horse" offer approved by a judge earlier in the month.It has also been speculated that Blockbuster received an unexpected bid from a South Korean wireless communication company. Icahn's potential interest in Blockbuster comes after he said in an article in April's edition of Harvard Business Review that the company was the "worst investment" he ever made. --Written by Jeanine Poggi in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Jeanine Poggi. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/jpoggi. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV