The retailer, which sells wellness and nutrition products at 7,200 stores and online, sold 22.5 million shares at $16 each, for a deal valued at $360 million.
In 2010, GNC earned $97 million on revenue of $1.82 billion.
GNC competes directly with publicly traded Vitamin Shoppe (VSI), which completed its IPO in October 2009.Already this year the retail sector has seen IPOs from designer Vera Bradley (VRA) and men's apparel maker, Zuoan Fashion (ZA). Toys 'R' Us is expected to issue its own public offering, which could be worth up to $800 million, this year. --Written by Jeanine Poggi in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Jeanine Poggi. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/jpoggi. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV