The 2-year note fell 2/32, pushing up the yield to 0.869%. The ten-year note lost 7/32, raising the yield to 3.494% and the 30-year bond fell 12/32, increasing the yield to 4.533%.
iShares Barclays TIPS (Treasury Inflation Protected Securities) Bond Fund (TIP) fell 0.7% to $108.43.
The selloff came as nonfarm payroll numbers turned out to be much better than expected.
The Bureau of Labor Statistics said in its Employment Situation Report that nonfarm payrolls rose by 216,000 in March, surprising economists, who on average were expecting the figure to increase by 185,000, according to Briefing.com.Companies added 230 jobs, helping to offset the decline in state and local government payrolls.
>> Economy Adds 216,000 Jobs in March Treasury exchange traded funds were falling in morning trading. iShares Barclays 1-3 Year Treasury Bond Fund (SHY) was falling 0.2% to $83.61, iShares Barclays 20+ Year Treasury Bond Fund (TLT) was falling 0.7% to $91.49 and iShares Barclays 10-20 Year Treasury Bond Fund (TLH) was unchanged at $111.80.
The dollar was gaining against the Swiss franc and Japanese yen after the release of the surprising U.S. employment report.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV