Corn was extending gains following Thursday's USDA report on lower corn inventories.
Corn for May delivery was rising 5.7% to $7.32 ¾ a bushel Friday after the USDA said corn stocks dropped 15% from a year ago to 6.52 billion bushels on March 1.
Still, Setzer says "we could easily see liquidation to corn to limit margin exposure. A little preweekend profit taking would not be surprising either."The United Nation says its Food and Agriculture Organization food price index rose above its 2008 peak last December after skyrocketed to its highest level in three decades by mid-2008. "Food prices will likely remain volatile," the United Nations said. On a positive note, a Standard Chartered report by analyst Danny Suwanapruti said headline inflation rose further in March in South Korea, but food inflation was showing signs of peaking.
(Published at 10:09 am ET) Treasury bonds were falling Friday morning as a positive employment report triggered thoughts of possible monetary tightening by the U.S. Federal Reserve.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV