(Published at 1:17 pm ET)
Wheat prices were retreating after visiting positive territory Friday as the markets' attention turned away from news that La Nina is threatening to endanger crop yields and back to a bearish stock report.
Wheat for May delivery was falling 1.9% to $7.48 ¾ a bushel, coming off the intraday high of $7.74, as the markets revisited a slightly bearish U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) report from Thursday.
Earlier, on Friday morning, wheat was advancing more than 1% as meteorologists warned that leading wheat producers including China and the U.S. would be suffering more drought with the looming La Nina. This, of course, would cause wheat yields to suffer.The La Nina weather phenomenon refers to the cooling of surface temperatures in the Pacific Ocean. Still, as noon approached, the markets began revisiting the USDA report that said wheat inventory rose 5% from a year ago to 1.42 billion bushels on March 1. "We are also seeing some pre-weekend profit taking and selling on wheat to cover margin exposure in corn," said MaxYield Cooperative Grain Solutions Team Leader Karl Setzer. Soybeans followed suit, falling 1.2% to $13.93 ¾ a bushel for May delivery on news China has cancelled a few export bookings, the analyst said. Food companies were rising in midday trading.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV