Gold for June delivery lost $11 to settle at $1,428.90 an ounce at the Comex division of the New York Mercantile Exchange. The gold price has traded as high as $1,437.80 and as low as $1,413.50 while the spot gold price recovered some ground and was off $2, according to Kitco's gold index.
Silver prices closed shed 15 cents to $37.73 an ounce.
Both metals finished the first quarter with a bang, but were getting hit after a positive jobs report. Gold settled at a record $1,439.90 an ounce, but still has to take out the $1,450 level for prices to push higher. Silver prices closed at a 31-year record of $37.88 an ounce after surging 22% in the first quarter.
Companies added 230,000 jobs, helping to offset the decline in state and local government payrolls. Economists forecast private payrolls to increase by 203,000, according to Briefing.com. The ADP survey released earlier this week said companies added 201,000 jobs in March. The unemployment rate unexpectedly ticked down to 8.8%. It's now dropped for four straight months, with the household survey showing a more rapid increase in employment than the establishment survey. In addition to investors ditching the safe haven for stocks after the good jobs number, investors might also be trading in gold for cash after the metal's 1.3% rally in the first quarter. Gold was hit in January with this type of rebalancing, which is also sometimes referred to as window dressing. Both terms are used to describe when portfolio managers reshuffle assets in their portfolio from quarter to quarter. Gold rallied 2.7% in December but then shed 6.6% in January. A selloff in gold prices Friday and into next week might be part of the same trend.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV