9. Chesapeake Energy (CHK), the second-largest producer of natural gas in the U.S., is focused on discovering and developing conventional and unconventional natural gas and oil fields onshore in the United States. Chesapeake has major stakes in the Barnett, Fayetteville, Haynesville, Marcellus and Bossier natural gas shale wells and other unconventional liquid plays.
Net income for fourth quarter of 2010 was $180 million, compared to a net loss of $530 million in the year-ago quarter. Revenue reported for 2010 fourth quarter was $1.98 billion versus $2.22 million in 2009 fourth quarter.
Since 2000, Chesapeake has built the largest combined inventories of onshore leasehold (13.3 million net acres) by the end of 2010 fourth quarter. Of the total acreage, Marcellus Shale accounts for 13%, or 1.73 million net acres. Net production from Marcellus Shale reserves is 215 million cubic feet equivalent (MMCFE) a day with an operating rig count of 32.Analysts polled by Bloomberg give the stock 49% buy ratings. In the last one year, the stock has appreciated 42% and is currently trading at 10.6 times its estimated 2011 earnings.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV