Wheat acres are likely to total 58 million, far surpassing the 41.2 million market estimate.
Still, grain inventories will remain extremely tight, more than offsetting a larger-than-expected harvest in 2011, according to the USDA.
The higher corn plantings however could bite into oilseed supply. The USDA predicts farmers will plant 76.6 million acres of soybeans, below the market forecast of 77 million, according to Agriculture.com.
Agriculture and fertilizer stocks got a lift from the news as well.Agricultural commodities transporter Archer Daniels Midland (ADM) rose 1.1% to $36.32, Agrium (AGU) gained 3.3% to $92.55, CF Industries (CF) advanced 4% to $137.87 and Potash Corp. (POT) rose 1.5% to $59.07.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV