NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Heating oil futures rose on dollar weakness Thursday, as the dollar carry trade drove trading.
"I think it is really the combination of the weak dollar and ongoing concerns in Libya and the rest of the region" as well as "hot inflation" in the European Union, said PFG Best Senior Research Analyst Phil Flynn.
Heating oil for May delivery increased 1.7% to $3.106 a gallon.
On Thursday, the euro strengthened against the dollar as inflation readings crept up faster than expected in March. The region's Eurostat office said consumer prices in 17 eurozone countries increased 2.6% year-over-year in March, up from 2.4% in February. This surprised economists, who had on average, according to a Reuters poll, forecast 2.3% growth.The much hotter than expected number "backed Trichet into a wall," Flynn said of European Central Bank President Jean-Claude Trichet, who now looks all but certain to oversee a rate hike in April. This notion switched carry trades favoring the higher-yielding euro currency, whereby the investors buys then sells the lower-yielding U.S. currency. Given that heating oil is priced in dollars, dollar weakness Thursday made the commodity more expensive to buy -- the higher price reflected the greater dollar amount required to buy it.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV