NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Google (GOOG) shares rose 0.3% to $583.40 in pre-market trading Thursday after the search giant announced a new social search tool called +1 -- or "plus one." The service lets users publicly recommend useful search results to friends.
In other Google news, the company selected Kansas City, Kan. as the first city to receive its ultra-fast fiber optic broadband network.
More than 1,100 communities expressed interest in becoming a part of the Google fast-fiber experiment to build and test broadband networks. Google proclaims its network will be more than 100 times faster than what Americans use today.
Microsoft (MSFT) filed a complaint Thursday with the European Commission against Google, alleging that the search giant is restricting competition via its Internet search results. The Commission has been investigating Google since last year when a number of small Internet companies lodged complaints.Shares of Microsoft were up 0.2% in pre-market trading Thursday. SK Telecom (SKM) is considering bidding for bankrupt movie rental company Blockbuster (BLOAQ), according to the Wall Street Journal. The South Korean company has been looking for ways to expand its business overseas. Nokia (NOK) shares fell 0.7% to $8.56 after Standard & Poor's cut its debt rating for the first time to A- with a stable outlook from A. The firm cited Nokia's declining smartphone market share as the reason for the cut. --Written by Olivia Oran in New York.
>To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/Ozoran. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV