(McCormick earnings report corrected to show that the company beat profit expectations.)
SPARKS, Md. (TheStreet) -- McCormick (MKC) shares continued to slide Wednesday after the spice maker missed quarterly revenue expectations on Tuesday.
McCormick said Tuesday it recorded higher net income for the recent quarter as price increases successfully offset commodity cost inflation, but results failed to meet analysts' expectations.
McCormick shares closed lower by 1.6% in Tuesday's session, and fell another 1.7% at midday Wednesday to trade around $47.93 amid heavier-than-normal volume. Around 1.3 million shares changed hands less than halfway through the day's session, compared with their average daily volume of just 838,000.In the three months ended Feb. 28, McCormick earned $76.8 million, or 57 cents per share, up 13.1% from year-earlier income of $67.9 million, or 51 cents per share. Revenue rose 2.4% to $782.8 million. While bottom-line results topped expectations for earnings of $71.7 million, or 54 cents per share, the top-line sales figure came up short. Analysts had expected the spice maker to book revenue of $803 million.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV