NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Google (GOOG) said Wednesday it had settled a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission that had cited the search giant as using "deceptive tactics" and violating privacy policies when it launched the Buzz social network last year.
Under the terms of the settlement, Google must implement a new privacy program and will receive an independent review of its procedures once every two years, the company said in a blog post.
|Google settled with the FTC over privacy concerns with Buzz.|
Google Buzz was a service launched through the Web giant's Gmail web-based e-mail program. The FTC found that Google misled users about its opt-out option, and that the controls for limiting the sharing of personal information were "were confusing and difficult to find."
This incident is the first time that the FTC has alleged violations of the privacy requirements of the U.S.-EU Safe Harbor Framework, which provides guidelines for U.S. companies to transfer data from the European Union to the U.S., the organization said."We don't always get everything right," Google said Wednesday on its corporate blog. "The launch of Google Buzz fell short of our usual standards for transparency and user control -- letting our users and Google down." Shares of Google rose 0.43% to $584.25 in early afternoon trading Wednesday. --Written by Olivia Oran in New York.
>To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/Ozoran. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.