NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Treasury bonds traded firmly on optimism about the treasury market after a lukewarm reception of the government's seven-year notes auction Wednesday.
The treasuries had yields of 2.895%, the highest in months and more attractive to buyers than the 2.873% yields dealers were forecasting on average, according to a Bloomberg survey.
The two-year note was rising 2/32, pushing the yield down to 0.801%, the 10-year note was gaining 8/32, pushing the yield down to 3.459% and the 30-Year bond was up 6/32, lowering the yield to 4.526%.
"Another mixed takedown with a sizable tail, but above average non-dealer bidding [of] 58.2% vs. [the] 57.8% norm," is how CRT Group fixed-income strategist Ian Lyngen described the auction. "Since the results, Treasuries have continued to hold the price action."The weaker the demand in a treasury auction, the wider the tail or difference between the average bid and the lowest bid at a Treasury auction. The $29 billion sale of seven-year notes concludes the government's $99 billion of treasury sales this week. On Tuesday, the five-year auction showed mixed results, while Monday's two-year auction was described as "mediocre" by Stifel Nicolaus head government bond trader Marty Mitchell. iShares Barclays 7-10 Year Treasury Bond Fund (IEF) was rising 0.3% to $93.16, the iShares Barclays 1-3 Year Treasury Bond Fund (SHY) was flat at $83.81 and the iShares Barclays 20+ Year Treasury Bond Fund (TLT) was 0.5% higher at $92. Treasuries were also gaining with the ADP National Employment Report's indication that the private sector added 201,000 jobs in March -- lower than the 210,000 jobs economists were expecting, according Briefing.com. The market was also keeping a close on the Fed policymakers' debate on the next move on monetary policy.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV