"We will keep on being a victim to shifts in the oil market until we finally get serious about long-term energy policy," President Obama said on Wednesday.
President Obama acknowledged the legislative reality, saying, "I've got to be honest, we've run into the same political gridlock and inertia that has held us back for decades and that has to change. We cannot keep going from shock when gas prices go up to trance when they go back down. We can't rush to propose action when gas prices are high and then hit the snooze button when they are low again. The U.S. can't bet our long-term security on resources that will eventually run out and will get more expensive to extract from ground."
Notably, President Obama himself mentioned that failed plans to overhaul energy policy, specifically in relation to less reliance on foreign oil, date back to the administration of President Richard Nixon. Wall Street and the President were in agreement on this point, with Raymond James writing in its note on Wednesday, "First, let's point out that every president since Nixon (!) has offered targets along these lines, and none have EVER been fulfilled."
-- Written by Eric Rosenbaum from New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Eric Rosenbaum.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV