NEW YORK, March 30, 2011 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Jim Lochner, chief operating officer of Tyson Foods, Inc. (NYSE:TSN), said a new paradigm exists in the supply/demand fundamentals in U.S. protein production. "Producer profitability will determine the amount of protein available to be consumed in the future," he said. "That concept hasn't changed; however, the drivers of profitability and production have changed.
"The old paradigm was that profitability and production are driven by domestic demand. The new paradigm is that they're largely driven by grain costs and exports," Lochner said today at the J.P.Morgan Global Protein Conference. Dennis Leatherby, Tyson's executive vice president and chief financial officer, also represented the company at the conference.
This shift in input costs began in the mid 2000s, which coincides with the U.S. government's mandate that a portion of the nation's gasoline be mixed with ethanol at a level of 10%. Ethanol in the United Sates is made primarily from corn, which is also a primary ingredient in livestock feed.Today, about 40% of the U.S. corn crop is used in ethanol production. This new demand has contributed to historically high corn prices. High input costs, along with increasing global demand for protein, have reduced the amount of meat and poultry available, resulting in higher protein prices for consumers, he added. "Total production of major proteins appears to be about flat versus last year, but with extremely strong exports, it's likely there will be even less meat and poultry per capita," Lochner said while showing a chart illustrating four years in row of declining domestic protein availability. Lochner added that Tyson Foods is well positioned with its focus on four primary objectives:
- Being the customers' "go-to supplier" by helping them succeed through service, innovation and insight driven food solutions
- Being the "best in class" protein producer by optimizing commodity businesses and driving out inefficiencies
- Building a multinational enterprise with operations in Mexico, China, Brazil and India
- Upgrading raw material through initiatives such as renewable energy from animal fat and other technologically advanced platforms.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV