Genta Incorporated Reports Fourth Quarter And 2010 Year-End Financial Results And Updates Key Product And Corporate Developments
Genasense ®: Survival data from Phase 3 melanoma trial due April 2011
Tesetaxel: Multiple clinical trial presentations expected at ASCO
Oral-Gallium Compounds: Eight candidate agents complete initial animal studiesBERKELEY HEIGHTS, N.J., March 30, 2011 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Genta Incorporated (OTCBB:GNTA) today reported results for the quarter and year ended December 31, 2010. The Company also provided an overview of recent corporate highlights and anticipated milestones. Key Product and Corporate Developments
- Genasense ® Phase 3 trial results: In April 2011, Genta expects to report final data on overall survival (OS) from AGENDA, the Company's randomized, double-blind, Phase 3 trial of dacarbazine with or without Genasense ® (oblimersen sodium) Injection in patients with advanced melanoma. Formal followup on all patients concludes in March 2011, two years from randomization of the last patient. While differences in early endpoints of overall response and progression-free survival favored the group treated with Genasense, those differences did not achieve statistical significance. The Company believes that a statistically significant increase in OS would enable submission of applications for regulatory approval of Genasense in advanced melanoma during 2011.
- Genasense ® Phase 2 data in melanoma: A Phase 2 trial of Genasense plus Abraxane ® and Temodar ® as 1 st-line treatment of patients with advanced melanoma has yielded promising results. Final response and survival data from this trial have been submitted for presentation at the annual meeting of the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) in June 2011.
- Tesetaxel Phase 3 program: The Company is currently recruiting investigator sites for a proposed multinational, Phase 3, randomized study of tesetaxel in patients with advanced gastric (stomach) cancer. Tesetaxel has received both Fast Track and Orphan Drug designations for this indication by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The Company has completed the "Scientific Advice" process for this trial with the European Medicines Agency. Discussions regarding this protocol have also been held with regulatory authorities in the U.S. and Japan. The IND process has also been initiated in Korea and China.
- Tesetaxel Phase 2 Program and Special Studies: In the past 12 months, Genta has initiated a broad Phase 2 program in other priority diseases including breast, prostate, and bladder cancer, as well as melanoma. Initial data from several of these trials have been submitted for presentation at ASCO. The Company expects to present results from its weekly dose-ranging and pharmacokinetic study of tesetaxel at the ASCO meeting, and to advance this new schedule into an ongoing trial in women with advanced breast cancer. Based on promising clinical results, the company will convene an expert advisory panel to identify a potential regulatory strategy for tesetaxel in breast cancer.
- Ganite ® Clinical Trials: During 2010, the Company reported initial data from a clinical and pharmacokinetic study of Ganite ® (gallium nitrate injection) to treat chronic lung infections with Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Several preclinical studies have shown that gallium nitrate has potent anti-infective activity against certain drug-resistant bacteria. The Company is supplying Ganite ® at no charge for an ongoing clinical study in patients with cystic fibrosis who are susceptible to resistant bacterial infections, which is being jointly conducted by the University of Washington and University of Iowa. The study is funded in part by FDA, the National Institutes of Health, and the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. The Company continues to supply Ganite ® for a clinical trial in patients with advanced non-Hodgkin's lymphoma who have relapsed from bone marrow transplantation.
- Oral Gallium Compounds: In 2010, Genta extended its internal research and development program on oral gallium-containing compounds. The program goal is to isolate novel, patentable, orally bioavailable compounds that can achieve specific target plasma concentrations that are known to be active. A number of compounds have completed initial animal testing. The Company hopes to identify a lead compound from this group and to file an Investigational New Drug (IND) exemption with FDA during 2011. Clinical work with such compounds will focus primarily on diseases associated with accelerated bone loss, with potential secondary anticancer indications.
- Intellectual Property: In the past 8 months, the Company has filed 5 patent applications on processes and intermediate compounds used in the manufacturing of tesetaxel. In 2010, two U.S. patents were issued, and the Company has filed 2 new patent applications on compositions and therapeutic uses of novel oral gallium-containing compounds.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV