WASHINGTON (TheStreet) -- One world disaster or political crisis may not enter the consumers conscience, but a handful happening all at once can make buyers take notice in their wallets and shopping carts.
The earthquake, tsunami and ensuing nuclear crisis in Japan have cost thousands of lives and -- according to estimates from analysts at Barclays (BCS) and Credit Suisse (CS), among other firms -- could cost upward of $180 million. Meanwhile, the political crisis and resulting U.S. and European intervention in Libya has crippled oil production in that country and helped U.S. oil prices soar nearly 80 cents since this time last year.
The January bombing of Moscow's busy Domodedovo International Airport that killed 37 people and the uncertain political situations in Yemen, Bahrain and Syria are all going to have an effect as well on American consumers whether they choose to read the headlines or not. The Consumer Confidence Index already dropped 8.6 points this month, but here are five more reasons events beyond the consumer's control will cause that confidence to fall even further:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV