MINNEAPOLIS (Stockpickr) -- The official start of spring marks the end of what has been a very long winter. Massive snow storms followed by long stretches of cold weather blanketed much of the U.S. this year. I'm ready to see the sun again -- and more important, I'm ready to get out of the house.
I don't think I am alone. Cabin fever has reached a peak for many. I suspect that not only are people ready to get out of the house, but consumers are ready for another burst of spending. The economy is recovering, and personal balance sheets are being repaired.
As the seasons change, so do trends in the market. Some companies do better during the warmer months, reflecting shifting buying patterns. Business, as they say, is cyclical, and that includes being cyclical around the calendar.
I recall a great example of that cyclicality with the trading of what is now named SMF Energy (FUEL). Around the time of Hurricane Katrina, this company enjoyed wild swings in share price thanks to speculation that business would improve during hurricane season. When the season ended, investors and traders moved elsewhere.Are there other examples of stocks that can be expected to do well now that the seasons have changed? Related: 3 Stocks With Bullish Technical Setups The stock market has held up well despite rough weather this winter. A mild correction has resulted in a solid base that is primed for future gains. A spring rally is certainly a possibility Here is my take on five spring fever stocks.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV