Silver Standard Resources
Mid-cap silver stock Silver Standard Resources (SSRI) has been a major beneficiary of silver's increase in price in the last 12 months. Shares of the miner have rallied more than 65% in the last year, underperforming the metal but grossly outperforming the equity market over that same period.
Now a bullish setup in Silver Standard suggests that higher prices could be on the way.
That's thanks to the inverse head and shoulders pattern that's forming in shares of SSRI. Simply put, a head and shoulders pattern is a pattern characterized by a major trough (inverse head) with two smaller troughs on either side (shoulders). When shares move above the formation's upside resistance level -- known as its neckline -- buyers have a trigger to buy shares.Statistically, the inverse head-and-shoulders is a significant pattern that can result in successful trades - but the key is risk management. That means not entering the trade until a confirmed break above the neckline takes place. It also means keeping a tight protective stop as a contingency for failure.
Silver Standard showed up on a list earlier this month of four metal and mining stocks with upside.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV