Stocks Finish Higher on Telecom, Energy Strength
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Stocks finished higher Tuesday, helped by gains in telecom and oil and gas stocks, as the market shrugged off weak economic data and global concerns to focus on March jobs data due later this week.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average gained 81 points, or 0.7%, at 12,279. The S&P 500 climbed 9 points, or 0.7%, to close at 1319, and the Nasdaq Composite finished ahead by 26 points, or 0.9%, at 2757.
Shares of Home Depot (HD) was led the Dow higher as the stock rose 2.8% to $37.70. The home improvement retailer said it plans to buy back $1 billion of outstanding shares in an accelerated share-repurchase program.Telecom stocks AT&T (T) and Verizon (VZ) also traded near the top of the Dow, gaining for the second straight day. while Hewlett-Packard (HPQ), Intel (INTC), Bank of America (BAC) and Kraft Foods (KFT) were the biggest laggards. Market breadth was positive with 66% of the stocks traded on the NYSE finishing higher while 31% declined. Economic data on Tuesday was mostly weak but investors have proven willing to turn a blind eye in anticipation of a more positive March jobs report on Friday. The S&P Case-Shiller 20-city home price index showed a slightly milder-than-expected decrease of 3.1% in January, after a decline of 2.43% in December. According to Briefing.com, economists had been expecting a drop of 3.5% in January. The Conference Board said consumer confidence fell to a reading of 63.4 in March, which was lower than the reading of 65 that economists had been expecting, and far weaker than February's level of 72.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV