6 Bizarre Real Estate Opportunities
Love trains and railroad stations? With old-school rail service a thing of the past in many communities, these terminals and station houses do occasionally find their way into the open market.
Research can help find one, or at least reach out to the network of like-minded aficionados. Sites such as the Railroad Station Historical Society can be a starting point.
Local real estate agents may be able to help. Because many stations have been out of service for years, they have already been repurposed by restaurants, coffee shops, galleries and hardware stores. Added expense may be needed to restore some of the historical flourishes, but the sites themselves are not all that rare, and many are listed through traditional brokers.On a larger scale, sites including the shuttered Michigan Central Depot, designed by the same architects as New York City's Grand Central Terminal, are available for private development. The Detroit station, spared from a wrecking ball, may soon undergo renovations. As for turning a railroad station into a living space, the cable channel GHTV recently featured a one-time depot in Vermont that has since been listed with an area broker for $199,000. -- Written by Joe Mont in Boston.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Joe Mont. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/josephmont. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV