Site Lets Small Firms Hedge Fuel Costs
Business owners pay a fee that protects them when fuel prices rise above the maximum price of fuel the owner is willing to pay. They pay only the premium quoted them when they set their limits through the company's website.
Customers use Pricelock's online tool also to set monthly fuel usage in gallons and the length of their contract -- typically six months or a year. The tool calculates a quote and, if at any time during the policy's length national fuel price averages rise above the owner's threshold, Pricelock pays the difference.
"The biggest thing we've seen coming out of 2010 is the volatility that has come back to the fuel market. We're seeing big upswings and big downswings. Make sure you've protected yourself against that volatility," says Liat Rorer, Pricelock's chief marketing officer. "If gas prices go up, we're going to pay you to offset that amount you're paying at the pump. If gas prices go down you're going to benefit by paying less than what is in your budget."The company has seen a big increase in customers since fuel prices escalated at the end of last year, but Rorer says the risk-management strategy should be used by any company that has fuel costs as a large percentage of expenses. "The best time to put fuel price protection in place is part of a regular risk-management program as you come into the year doing your budget," she says. "We're really trying to empower the small-business owner to be able to run their business the way large businesses have been run." Written by Laurie Kulikowski in New York. Ted Reed contributed to this article. To contact the writer of this article, click here: Laurie Kulikowski. To follow Laurie Kulikowski on Twitter, go to: http://twitter.com/#!/LKulikowski >To submit a news tip, email: email@example.com.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV