Site Lets Small Firms Hedge Fuel Costs
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Small businesses hurt by rising fuel prices can follow a risk-management strategy once available only large companies.
Pricelock offers fuel price protection through what is essentially an insurance policy. It is able to offer the strategy by grouping small businesses, cutting costs -- it is done entirely online -- and working with investment banks.
|The Pricelock website lets business owners hedge against rising fuel costs; clients pay a fee that protects them when prices rise above the maximum they're willing to pay.|
"Essentially we actually aggregate demand from small customers," says Naveen Agarwal, Pricelock's chief operating officer.
How small? Client companies have as few as three trucks or five pickups. As long as a company is exposed to increased fuel prices, they can use the online service, Agarwal says. The strategy has eluded smaller firms in the past, although larger consumers of fuel -- including the major airlines, with the exception of US Airways (LCC) -- hedge."We hedge to protect against volatility," said United (UAL) CEO Jeff Smisek on Tuesday at the J.P. Morgan transportation conference. "It's an insurance product. It comes at a cost [but] has value. It's worth doing."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV