Citigroup recently announced plans for a 10-for-1 reverse stock split, which will propel the share price to nearly $50 by reducing the number of outstanding shares from 29 billion to 2.9 billion.
Citigroup investors may like the move as the bank's stock now will look more attractive to fund managers, who typically can't invest in stocks trading under $5 due to restrictions in their fund's charter. However, they will lose one key benefit of stocks under $5, and that is trading volume. An average of more than 450 million shares of Citigroup change hands each day, creating plenty of liquidity in the stock. Citigroup has been the top under $5 stock pick of analysts, garnering 15 "buy" ratings from Wall Street firms.
Investors searching for high-volume stocks under $5 now must look elsewhere for big gains in the wake of Citigroup's reverse-split announcement. Many of these low-priced stocks have proven to be winners, including, Evergreen Energy (EEE) and Majesco Entertainment (COOL), which have more than tripled this year.Stocks trading under $5 typically have no analysts' coverage -- never mind a "buy" rating -- leaving investors to do the homework for themselves. However, a select few boast favorable coverage from analysts, which can direct share-price movements. Excluding Citigroup, the following 10 U.S. stocks trade at less than $5 and have gotten the most "buy" ratings from analysts.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV