7. U.S. Steel (X), an integrated steel producer, has major operations in North America and Europe for flat-rolled and tubular products. The company has operates in three major segments: flat-rolled products, U. S. Steel Europe, and tubular products. The company's other businesses include transportation and real estate services.
For full-year 2010, the company reported 60% increase in revenue to $17.4 billion from $11 billion recorded in 2009. Average price for flat-rolled steel increased from $651 in 2009 to $675 in 2010. Operating loss for the same period narrowed. Industry analysts believe that as compared to steel producers Nucor and ArcelorMittal, U.S. Steel has the advantage of its long-standing relationship with automobile companies General Motors, Ford, and Chrysler, which contribute almost 20% towards sales.
The company believes that its flat-rolled steel operations in the U.S. will prove to be its biggest source of value in the upcoming years. Demand surge from China, India, and South Korea will push steel prices higher. Meanwhile, as U.S. Steel operates at only 70% of its capacity it has adequate opportunity to leverage on the reserve capacity to meet growing demand.Of the 13 analysts covering the stock, 54% recommend a buy while 38% rate a hold. Data from Bloomberg has analysts reporting an average 12-month price target of $65.1, which is 19% higher than the stock's current price.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV