Darden, the operator of Red Lobster, Olive Garden and Longhorn Steakhouse restaurants, also reiterated its outlook for food cost inflation between 3.5% to 4% in fiscal 2012.
The company also warned that the U.S. restaurant industry remains under pressure as the economy works to recover, meaning diners remain reluctant to go out and spend money at restaurants without promotions and deals to entice them.Those cautionary statements led investors to bid Darden shares 2.6% lower to $46.78 Friday morning despite its earnings beat. Fewer-than-expected diners visited Olive Garden restaurants open at least 14 months last quarter as some of its promotions did not have the strong pull on diners Darden had hoped for. Olive Garden sales account for nearly half of the company's net revenue. "The environment, while improving, remains more fragile than normal and it's very much driven by promotional effectiveness," CFO Brad Richmond told analysts on a conference call.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV