Stock Futures Rise Following Strong GDP Data
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Stock futures were pointing to a stronger open Friday as the U.S. economy grew at a faster-than-expected pace of 3.1% in the fourth quarter.
Futures for the Dow Jones Industrial Average were up by 27 points, or 40 points above fair value, at 12,143. Futures for the S&P 500 were higher by nearly 3 points, or 3 points above fair value, at 1308, and Nasdaq futures were ahead by79 points, or 5 points above fair value.
Stocks extended gains Thursday as investors shrugged off global concerns and focused on positive earnings and better-than-expected jobless claims data.In its third and final estimate on fourth-quarter 2010 gross domestic product, the U.S. Department of Commerce said the economy expanded by 3.1%. Economists had been anticipating an upward revision to 2.9% from its previous estimate of 2.8%. That compares with growth of 2.6% in the third quarter. Encouraging earnings reports out late Thursday were also lifting the U.S. market on Friday. Consulting services company Accenture (ACN) earned a strong second-quarter profit, raised its outlook and announced a semi-annual cash dividend of 45 cents a share. >>Stocks to Watch Shares of Oracle (ORCL) were gaining 4.5% to $33.60 after reporting better-than-expected earnings and lifting its quarterly dividend by 20%. Research In Motion (RIMM), however, issued a disappointing outlook. Shares were down 11.3% at $56.83 ahead of Friday's opening bell.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV