10 Industries On Life Support
DVD, game and video rentals
Blockbuster (BBI), its woes reflected in the state of the DVD, game and video rental marketplace, could be a poster child for dying industries.
"In 2000, Blockbuster was a thriving business and the most dominant player in the $12.2 billion industry. Today, Blockbuster is bankrupt, and the industry is 35.7% smaller than it was a decade ago," van Beeck wrote in his analysis.
Demand for the sort of media Blockbuster built its one-time empire on is as strong as ever, he says. What changed is that the company, and many like it, weren't prepared for how the Internet, digital cable, satellite TV, big box stores and mail-delivery services such as Netflix (NFLX) would change consumer habits. What was once a weekend night at home can now be an everyday occurrence without the need to drive to a specialized, bricks-and-mortar location. The industry's revenue of roughly $7.8 billion last year is down nearly 36% since 2000, with a 20% drop-off projected over the next six years.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV