5 Opening Day Baseball Cities That Freeze Fans
New York Yankees
Home stadium: Yankee Stadium
Average March 31 temperature: 48 degrees
Just think, the whole reason these games are being moved back in the first place is because the MLB saw Derek Jeter, Mariano Rivera, Jorge Posada and Andy Pettitte celebrating their 2009 World Series win in hooded sweatshirts. And you say the rest of the baseball world thinks the Yankees are a coddled, overfed bunch of crybabies out to ruin the game?
Perhaps an early Opening Day is the best way to thank the Yankees for inspiring this little tweak in the baseball calendar. After all, maybe the team just needs a little reminder that just eight years ago, they played in the third-coldest home opener in the past decade against the Minnesota Twins. On April 8, 2003, it was a brisk 35 degrees while the Yanks and Twins were on the field, which is as cold or colder than any game-time temperature the poor Yankees had to suffer through during the 2009 World Series.
Besides, we don't know how the Yankees stay so cold when they have a league's worth of hate to keep them warm.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV